Outgoing Students

General Information

You will always benefit from a stay abroad, both personally and academically. However, careful and above all early considerations should precede the project. Take some time and read the  information für outgoings in detail!
For those in a hurry: You will find some general information in our Checklist and in our presentation on studying and training abroad.

Get in touch with the foreign representatives in the departments, or ask individual professors directly in your degree programme, find out about the locations of our partner universities via Google Maps and find a suitable destination for your stay abroad.

Trier / Idar Oberstein Campuses

Departments:  Business    Art and Design    Computer Science + Therapy Science    Civil and Supply Engineering and Food Technology    Engineering

Birkenfeld Campus

Departments:  Environmental Business / Law      Environmental Planning / Technology

Study worldwide

There are various possibilities to spend time abroad outside the existing university contacts of the university, either while studying or afterwards.

Please refer to our information brochure "information on stays abroad"  for more information, make an appointment or visit us during our office hours.

The website www.studieren-weltweit.de and the DAAD link website are also good sources of information.

If you are not satisfied with our service, please feel free to contact the chairman of the Senate Committee on Internationalization, Prof. Dr. G. Schneider at g.schneider(at)hochschule-trier.de


The term "study abroad" refers both to attending courses at foreign universities and to study-relevant research projects, e.g. for students' final theses.

Inform yourself in advance about your department's partner universities.

You can get advice on any subject-related matters in your department. Please contact the representative in your degree programme or the department's foreign representative.

Use this form to inform the university about your stay abroad by logging in with your computer centre identification.

The International Office will then help you with organisational and administrative questions.

Stays abroad are also possible in the form of an internship.

Of course, you can also study abroad on your own and at a non-partner university.

The academic calendar abroad is in most cases different from that in Germany. This applies both to the structure of the academic year (semesters, trimesters, quarters, etc.) and to the application deadlines and examination periods. Here you can find information about the academic calendar of different countries.

Language requirements:

If you take part in the Erasmus program, you can do a free online language course for the most important European languages, see: Erasmus+ OLS (external link!)

If you would like to improve your English for stays in the USA or Australia, for example, you can find information about  offers in Trier  (external link!).

Financing your stay abroad

How do I finance my stay abroad?

A stay abroad costs money! In addition to the cost of living, there may be tuition fees, travel expenses and insurance. Jobbing is only possible in EU countries without any problems. In many countries there is no work permit for students.

Here are some financing options:

Further funding opportunities

EU-Programme Erasmus Internships
Students wishing to do an internship in a European country can, under certain conditions, obtain an internship placement and a scholarship. Application documents and further information can be found at http://www.erasmuspraktika.de/home/ (external link!)

Education loan
To support students in advanced stages of their education, there is a low-interest loan that can be granted for a maximum of 24 months. The educational loan is independent of income. Further information is available at www.bundesverwaltungsamt.de (external link!) and at http://www.das-neue-bafoeg.de/de/110.php (external link!).

Scholarship-giving organizations

The scholarship database of the BMBF (external link!) offers a good overview of almost all scholarships.
In addition, you will also find good information on MyStipendium (external link!).

Scholarships for gifted students

General criteria

The scholarship award procedure depends on the type of scholarship and the scholarship programme. A pre-selection takes place, partly in the form of an interview. The interview may be conducted in the language of the host country. They should be familiar with good technical knowledge, as well as knowledge of political, economic and cultural issues in the target country.

To apply for a scholarship, you will usually have to meet the following criteria:

    - You must have studied successfully for some time (usually at least two to three semesters at the time of the scholarship application, longer in creative subjects).
    - You must submit up-to-date reports from university lecturers.
    - You must have good to very good language skills.
    - You must explain in detail the reasons for your motivation for the stay abroad and for the chosen university.

For scholarship programmes, it is important to adhere to application deadlines. These are often one year before the start of the programme, in some cases even earlier.

The most important scholarship-giving organisations and funding opportunities are:

Rhineland-Palatinate State Scholarship Program
Scholarship Commissioner Trier: Prof. Dr. Jakobi
Tel.: 0651/8103-312

Scholarship Commissioner Birkenfeld: Prof. Dr. Stephan Tomerius

German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
The DAAD offers various scholarship programmes, e.g. one-year scholarships, scholarships for combined study and practical semesters, semester scholarships and much more, www.daad.de (external link!).
Please note application deadlines! Some of these are very early, up to 16 months before the start of studies. Special conditions also apply to some design courses;
DAAD travel grants for internships outside Western Europe (i.e. EU countries and Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein)

The internship must last a minimum of two months and a maximum of six months. Students must have completed their basic studies. Applications must be submitted to the DAAD at least two months before the start of the internship. Application forms are available on the internet.

Fulbright Commission (USA)
The Fulbright Commission offers annual scholarships for students and graduates to study and work in the USA. Date: 1 June of the previous year. There are also travel grants, which have to be applied for only about 7 months before the start. Application documents can be found at www.fulbright.de (external link!)

Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarships
Students of all disciplines can apply for a scholarship. Target countries are USA, Canada, Australia, France, Chile and England. The scholarships are intended to promote international understanding. They are not intended to achieve an academic degree. See www.rotary.de (external link!)

Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes - Special funds for studies abroad
Students of all disciplines can apply for a one-year scholarship: www.studienstiftung.de (external link!)

Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes - Haniel Scholarship Programme
Graduates of all disciplines (in exceptional cases also students of higher semesters) can apply for a scholarship. Programme schedule: Postgraduate studies, preferably with an internationally recognised additional degree, at least 2 semesters internship at a business enterprise in the host country: http://www.studienstiftung.de/haniel.html (external link!)

Transcript Recognition, Grade Conversion

Transcript Recognition, Grade Conversion

Recognition of academic achievements

The recognition of academic achievements is done within the study program, usually by the responsible chairperson of the examination board. It is best to discuss this with the responsible person in connection with the "Learning Agreement" (see under "Erasmus").

The conversion of grades is complex due to different grading systems, the European Credit Transfer System as shown here is recommended:

back-to-top nach oben