Student/in Incoming Exchange

Further information

Application (Exchange)

Ask your international office/department whether your university has an agreement with Trier University of Applied Sciences. There you will also get information about the application procedure at your university.

The International Office of your university will send us your application. The application includes:
- Application form (see box on the right)
- Learning agreement (see box on the right)
- for non-EU students: copy of your passport

As soon as the application has been received, the relevant department will decide whether you will be accepted at the Trier University of Applied Sciences. You will then immediately receive a message from us.


Before starting your stay abroad, you should think about courses, projects and lectures. Do we offer the courses you need? Does your university accept the services you provide with us? You should draw up a Learning Agreement. Our tutors/coordinators in the departments will help you with this.

Arrival & Transport

Every foreigner who plans to stay in Germany for more than three months needs to register his new domicile with the German authorities at the citizenship office (Bürgeramt - Rathaus) Once you find permanent accommodation (not a hotel) you have two weeks to register your home address at your local Registration Office.


Students from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and from some other countries can enter Germany without a visa.
As a rule, all other international students need a visa - especially if they want to stay longer than three months in Germany.

Enquire in advance about the entry regulations which apply for your country! Once you arrive in Germany you must present your visa to the German Foreigners Authority where it will be converted to a residence permit for the purpose of studying.



> AIRPORTS in the region:

- Frankfurt International or Luxembourg Airport -  absolutely our recommendation!
- Frankfurt-Hahn 

How to get to our Campus?

Campus Trier (Main Campus). Trier, population 110,000 habitants.

Distance to Trier:

  • 2 hours from Frankfurt Main
  • 1 hour from Saarbrücken
  • 4 hours from Paris
  • 1 hour from Frankfurt Hahn Airport (70 km)
  • 40 mins. from Luxembourg Airport

Campus Birkenfeld (Umwelt-Campus Birkenfeld -UCB). Birkenfeld, population 7,000 habitants.

Distance to Birkenfeld:

  • 45 minutes from Trier
  • 35 minutes from Frankfurt Hahn Airport (40 km)
  •  1 hour from Frankfurt Main Airport

Campus Idar-Oberstein (Jewellery Design). Idar-Oberstein, population 28,300 habitants.

Distance to Idar-Oberstein:

  • 1 hour from Trier
  • 45 minutes from Frankfurt Hahn Airport (45 km)
  • 1 hour from Frankfurt Main Airport

NOTE: There is no good public transport between the three campuses (Trier - Birkenfeld - Idar-Oberstein)

With your Student-ID-card (students can get it AFTER arrival and registration at our university ) you can travel without costs with Bus in Trier (SWT TRIER) and by Train (Bahn) for maximal 100 km (Saarbrücken or Coblenz are included).

Living/ Accomodation


Trier University of Applied Sciences has reserved a limited number of rooms/apartments in the halls of residence of the Studierendenwerk Trier for exchange students. Please send us a message if you are interested in accommodation in a dormitory. We will then assign you a room for a maximum of one semester. If we cannot give you a room, you will have to arrange your own accommodation.

You have the following options:

1st possibility: Private room
Many Trier students are looking for flatmates for their shared flats. A shared flat with German students is a good opportunity to get to know people immediately and to improve your German language skills. The rent is generally between 250 and 300 euros, sometimes higher.

Room offers by students for students can be found at (in German):

You can find more housing exchanges here:
Private room agency Studierendenwerk Trier

You can also come to Trier yourself a few weeks before the start of the semester to look for a room. During this time you can, for example, stay at a youth hostel in Trier.  
Trier Youth Hostel
Youth hostel Warsberger Hof
more hotels in Trier

2nd possibility: Private residence
You can apply for a room in a private residence in Trier:

German Courses

German Courses

German for beginners
Please see StudIP 

Business German
Please see StudIP

German as a foreign language at Volkshochschule Trier
Volkshochschule Trier offers a wide range of intensive classes and evening classes on beginner and intermediate levels.

More information

Incoming Student Guide

Information for Incomings

"Fact Sheet", here you will find relevant data about our university.

Incoming/Erasmus Fact Sheet

The most important information on applications, apartments, etc. can be found in the following file.

Guide for Incoming Students

Information on registration in STUDIP (in English), the electronic platform of the University of Trier

Web_Studip Guide

Information about finding accomodation:

Finding a Room in Trier: Quick Guide



Registration by regular mail

Exchange students who own the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) can apply by regular mail.

Registration on site

Please come by our office upon arrival and bring all necesssary documents. See list of documents here.

We advise you to transfer the student services contribution a few days in advance.

If you don't have an EHIC, you need a confirmation certificate from a statutory health insurer in Germany (TK, AOK, Barmer, KKH …) that certifies that you are either insured with the insurance company or exempt from compulsory insurance.

Please bear in mind the following when paying the semester contribution for enrolment:

Some banks charge additional fees for international bank transfers to Germany. This is especially true for bank transfers in a currency other than the euro. You will have to pay these fees. Your bank will inform you about the amount of all additional fees.

Therefore, it is important to tell your bank that you want to use the OUR procedure for bank transfers. This means that you, as the remitter, will bear the entire costs. The processing costs must be received in full.

Alternative: Bank transfers from a German account usually do not incur any additional costs. Ask e.g. friends or relatives with an account in Germany.


Conditions for Admission

Conditions for Admission


Your university should have a Mobility Agreement (see partner universities) with Trier University of Applied Sciences.

In addition, you should have sufficient knowledge of English. Sufficient knowledge of German is indispensable in the technical study programmes.

Partner universities of Trier University of Applied Sciences

Trier / Idar Oberstein Campuses

Department:  Business    Art and Design    Computer Science    Civil and Supply Engineering    Engineering

Birkenfeld Campus

Department:  Environmental Business / Environmental Law      Environmental Planning / Environmental Technology

Degree Programs

Degree Programs

You can find information about the degree programs offered at Hochschule Trier here 

Or you can find information about study semesters and degree programs in English.

Health Insurance

In Germany, all students must have health insurance. Your health insurance at home can tell you whether you are also insured during your stay in Germany. This may be the case especially in European countries. Students from EU member states can use the blue European health insurance card to prove that they have health insurance in their home country and that the insurance is also valid in Germany. Please ask your insurance company BEFORE(!) you come to Germany, because this will make things a lot easier.

If your own health insurance is not valid in Germany, you should take out insurance immediately after your arrival in Trier. You can either go to a statutory health insurance or to a private insurance. However, the insurance is only effective from the day of your enrolment.

With statutory insurance, you pay the same insurance premium everywhere. The benefits provided by the insurance companies also differ only slightly.

More information can be found at :

Destination Germany

What is the DAAD?

The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is considered the world's largest organization promoting the international exchange of students and researchers. Each year, the DAAD awards thousands of scholarships to support both German and international academics in realizing their studies or projects in Germany or abroad.

For further information, please visit:

back-to-top nach oben