Additional voluntary semester abroad

Basic information

Independent of the year abroad (IB), or the one-semester stay abroad instead of the practical project (BW, WI, WIET), there is the possibility to complete an additional voluntary semester abroad and, if applicable, to have successfully completed achievements credited here.
Master's students (BM, WIIM) also have the opportunity to complete a voluntary semester abroad under the same conditions.

Important: During an exchange semester, it is important that you stay enrolled at Trier University of Applied Sciences.

Further information can be found in the information presentation on the semester abroad.

Before the voluntary semester abroad

Admission requirements

You can apply for admission at any time. You do not need a minimum number of ECTS credits. However, it is recommended that you do not complete a voluntary semester abroad before the third semester.

Study place abroad

The easiest way to obtain a place to study abroad is to apply for a place at one of our numerous partner universities. If you are interested, you will need to apply via email and select two partner universities (your first and second priority).

The application for the summer semester is in September, for the fall semest in February. The exact dates will be announced in a circular email as well as in the "news" segment on our homepage.

Alternatively, as a free-mover you can look for a place at another university abroad on your own.

Language skills

If you would like to test or improve your language skills in advance of your year abroad, the European Union's ERASMUS+ OLS offers you a wide range of language tests and courses free of charge and online for numerous European languages from level A1 to level C1 in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

Application for admission to an additional voluntary semester abroad

Please note that you must submit an application for admission to the voluntary semester abroad using the relevant form prior to your voluntary semester abroad.

You must submit a Learning Agreement agreed with your host university and your supervisor in advance. If your host university is in the European Union, please use the ERASMUS+ form, otherwise use the second form provided.

After the voluntary semester abroad

After completing your stay abroad, you must submit an application for recognition of the voluntary semester abroad using the appropriate form. Please enclose the certificates of achievement from the foreign university with your application. The grading of the study abroad is carried out by converting the grades of the academic achievements abroad.
We also ask you to hand in a short experience report.


Julia Schätz - Al Mahamid
Julia Schätz - Al Mahamid, M.A.
Beschäftigte FB Wirtschaft


+49 651 8103-528


Schneidershof | Building K | Room 3b


Montag: 09:00-12:00 Uhr, 13:00-14:00 Uhr (Home Office) Dienstag-Donnerstag: 09:00-12:00 Uhr, 13:00-14:00 Uhr Freitag: 09:00-12:00 Uhr
back-to-top nach oben